a. Discuss at least one of the questions in the following Reading Guide
b. Discuss one Chapter Discussion question at the end of Chapter 11 or 12 of the textbook
c. Write an annotation video review from one of the short videos in Lecture 06 PPT. (You may write a review of another relevant video of your choice instead – please include link).
(i) summarize the main points covered in the video,
(ii) discuss your thoughts on this video regarding what you have learned and
(iii) comment on the quality of the video and presentation
1. What is Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) and what is North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)? How are the major differences between the two systems? Please elaborate the significance of this classification system.
2. When did Industrial Revolution happen? What is the most important machine tools invented at that time?
3. When did we establish four time zones in the US? And why?
4. When did Ford introduce “Assembly Line”? Discuss the impact and ramifications of the assembly line.
5. Why the “task” idea was so important for scientific management? Research a video on scientific management and discuss the pros and cons of such practices.
6. Why did General Electric executive say that all of the good ideas come from hourly workers? Discuss how would you apply this observation in your career?
7. Discuss the criticism that computers are the electronic equivalent of an assembly line. Share your thoughts on assembly line work in relation to quality of life.
8. Discuss the pros and cons of ‘telework’ and the future prospect of such work style.
9. Consider some emerging careers surveyed by BLS or business experts, discuss the ‘skill contents’ and the level of empowerment for such career.
10. What would be your ideal career in this technological changing world? Please elaborate.
1. Who is Bi Sheng? What did he invent, and why it’s important?
2. How did printing help the expansion of knowledge? Cite some key examples.
3. What’s the role of printing in religion reformation? Research a video story and share your thoughts on the impact of protestant reformation.
4. What are the psychological effects of printing? Please elaborate McLuhan’s aphorism: “the medium is the message” and “The Gutenberg Galaxy”.
5. Discuss the dramatic changes of newspapers in relation to the printing technology.
6. What are the implications of circulation on public opinion?
7. How did printing technology impact literacy and education?
8. How did printing technology help with the world exploration and the expansion of knowledge?
9. Who is Johann Gutenberg? What are his achievements?
10. Discuss the impact of electronic books in relations to education, literacy and economy.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.