In your local newspaper, an article was written about the crimes and harms perpetrated against the older population and the lack of protection for many of them. The article ends with the question, “Who is responsible for protecting these individuals?”
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word letter to the editor answering that question from the perspective of one working in the long-term care field. In your letter, address the following:
- Analyze the responsibilities of individuals for protecting the rights of older adults. Consider the following:
- When should families be responsible for related older adults? When should they not? Does this only pertain to immediate family members?
- When should friends or acquaintances be responsible? What if their choices go against the family’s wishes?
- When should hospitals, community service organizations, or other long-term care facilities be allowed to make major decisions for older adults?
- When should the government be responsible for making important decisions? How involved should the government be in protecting the individual?
- Is there ever a circumstance when an older adult does not need outside protection? When would that be? Explain your answers.
- Compare differences of private, nonprofit, and public entities. Consider the following:
- Legal issues
- How administrators and facilities play a role in the protection of older adults
- Analyze the prevalence of abuse against the aging population. Include:
- A description of the types of abuses
- Statistics to support your claims
- Evaluate the effects of fraud on the aging population and the long-term care system.
- Consider the financial implications on individuals, organizations, and the health care system.
- Analyze Elder Law Services.
- How can these services help protect the rights of older adults?
- Determine the role of advocacy in protecting the rights of older adults. Consider the following:
- What advocacy services are available for older adults? Does everyone have the same access to these services? Explain why or why not.
- How effective are advocacy services at protecting the rights of older adults?
Format your assignment according to APA guidelines.
The post Analyze the prevalence of abuse against the aging population. Include: A description of the types of abuses Statistics to support your claims appeared first on Blackboard Masters.