Psychology homework help
Assignment 1.2 – Conflicting Viewpoints Essay (100 points)
Students, please view the “Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment” in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Assignment 1.2: Conflicting Viewpoints Essay – Part II Synthesizing and Writing Due Week 4 and worth 100 points
When looking for information about a particular issue, how often do you try to resist biases toward your own point of view? This assignment asks you to engage in this aspect of critical thinking.
The assignment is divided into two (2) parts. For Part I of the assignment (due Week 2), you read a book excerpt about critical thinking processes, reviewed the Procon.org Website in order to gather information, and engaged in prewriting to examine your thoughts. * Remember that in the Week 2 Discussion, you examined the biases discussed in
Week 2 Discussion
Top of Form
· “Understanding Barriers to Our Own Thinking”
Please respond to the following:
· From the www.procon.org Website, select one (1) topic of your choice and read the Pro section and the Con section on the selected topic. Next, choose three (3) reasons listed under the Pro section and three (3) reasons listed under the Con section. Based on the biases discussed in Chapter 2 and the reasons presented at the Procon.org website:
. State your position on the selected topic. Determine the biases you experienced as you examined the reasons for and against your position.
. Describe your reaction to your experience of these biases.
Bottom of Form
Chapter 2 of the webtext: https://www.webtexts.com/courses/26156-pedrone/traditional_book/chapters/2558007-sources/pages/2484004-practice-everyone-else
In Part II of the assignment (due Week 4), you will write a paper to synthesize your ideas. Part II – Writing Write at three to four (3-4) page paper in which you: 1. State your position on the topic you selected for Assignment 1.1. 2. Identify (3) three premises (reasons) from the Procon.org website that support your position and explain why you selected these specific reasons. 3. Explain your answers to the “believing” questions about the three (3) premises opposing your position from the Procon.org website. 4. Examine at least two (2) types of biases that you likely experienced as you evaluated the premises for and against your position. 5. Discuss the effects of your own enculturation or group identification that may have influenced your biases. 6. Discuss whether or not your thinking about the topic has changed after playing the “Believing Game,” even if your position on the issue has stayed the same.
The paper should follow guidelines for clear and organized writing:
· Include an introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph.
· Address main ideas in body paragraphs with a topic sentence and supporting sentences.
· Adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and spelling.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
· This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
· Identify the informal fallacies, assumptions, and biases involved in manipulative appeals and abuses of language.
· Create written work utilizing the concepts of critical thinking.
· Use technology and information resources to research issues in critical thinking skills and informal logic.