Ethical Issues for Forensic Psychologists
Read the following current version of the ethical guidelines by the American Psychology-Law Society:
This assignment is designed to help you synthesize and apply the current version of the ethical guidelines of forensic psychology to what you have been learning about the relationship of substance abuse in the criminal justice system, assessment, diagnosis and ethical considerations.
After thoroughly reading the ethical guidelines of forensic psychology, review the following scenarios and questions and respond to each question thoroughly. Your paper should reflect an understanding of applying the ethical standards to the course material.
• Provide a summary which includes the purpose, history and goals of the ethical standards. What is your initial reaction to the ethical guidelines of forensic psychology?
• Review and summarize the standards related to confidentiality. What steps will you take as a counselor in the criminal justice system to be in compliance with the ethical standards? After reviewing the textbook and online lecture, how will you handle “red flags” and the limits of confidentiality, yet be in compliance with the ethical guidelines?
• You are presented with a client who is ordered through the court to undergo an examination or treatment. The client refuses to sign the confidentiality agreement, and has made it quite clear he is not going to participate. Identify what action you will take and provide the standard(s) which guided your decision. Be sure to include a summary of what confidentiality is and why it is important. Your significant other is a recovering addict.
• According to the module lecture counter transference may occur when counseling an individual who has similar behaviors to the counselor’s family members. Review the standard 4.07 from the ethical guidelines of the American Psychology-Law Society and the online content. Discuss what options the counselor has to be in compliance with the standard. Be sure to include a discussion of counter transference.
• Compare and contrast the ethical issues of confidentiality and countertransference: Which issue do you believe will be most difficult to deal with, and why? After reviewing the ethical guidelines and applying the guidelines to treatment and evaluation issues provide your opinion of the relationship of substance abuse treatment and sanctions of the court.