Read the 9 mini-case study series from the Project Management Institute on the Global Green Books Publishing company before starting this assignment.
Write a paper in which you Cover the following points:
1. Describe at least three challenges that project managers face as effective risk managers at Global Green Books Publishing and provide a rationale for your choices.
These are the most common challenges (Hilson, ch 2)
· Influences to expand scope – scope creep
· Organization culture – risk management is too expensive
· Leadership mindset – solve risk when they occur – good leaders deal with the unexpected all the time
· Operational approach – everyone’s too busy to deal with risk planning
· Team members mentality – risk planning is just common sense
2. Identify at least three key skills/competencies project managers need to be effective risk managers at Global Green Books Publishing and provide a rationale for your choices.
Be sure and consider the following:
· Communicating – listening and responding to all stakeholders
· Leading – ensures that all team members are motivated and skilled to accomplish their role
· Manifest Cognitive ability – addresses conflicts and resolves issues, knows which PM knowledge tool to use when
· Professional – handles challenging situations with integrity and stays focused on the project’s objectives.
· Manages – keeps project plan on schedule and meets goals while documenting variations from plan
· Effectiveness – implements risk plan, keeps stakeholders engaged and adapts pace as deemed best
3. Describe at least three risk challenges that team member’s faces when dealing with risks at Global Green Books Publishing and provide a rationale for your choices. Be sure and identify which are issues, problems, causes and effects.( Hilson text pg 31)
4. Identify at least three skills/competencies that team members need in order to be effective in identifying and managing risks at Global Green Books Publishing and provide a rationale for your choices.
Keep the following in mind:
· Actively watch for issues
· Be flexible to adapt to risk required changes/challenges
· Communicate any variance from plan/budget to the PM
· Be selfless in accepting the project goals and setting aside your own
· Keep the stakeholders in focus since they will ultimately use the output of the project
5. Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
The links to the 9 mini case studies: