Discussion: Comparing Key Beliefs of Religious Traditions
As you have read in the course text, the foundational beliefs of all religious traditions include cosmogonies (the answers to the questions of how we came to be, why we are here, and what happens to us after we die) as well as theodicies (the reasons for why humans experience suffering).
What similarities do you see between this week’s highlighted religious traditions? How do the cosmogonies surrounding death and the afterlife differ? How a culture or religion prepares for and ritualizes death can give you a lot of insight into their beliefs about life and the afterlife. In this Discussion, you will consider the culture of the living practitioners of various civilizations based on their burial rituals and views on death.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this week’s assigned readings from the course text.
- Explore the BBC Religions and Ethics resources from this week’s Resources.
- Consider the similarities and differences between two religious traditions, specifically looking at their views on death, burial rituals, and the afterlife.
- Reflect on what you can infer about the cultures that practice those religions based on your answers to the previous questions.
By Day 3
Post a paragraph comparing the two religions you selected, focusing on the tradition’s burial rituals, views on death, and views on the afterlife. In a second paragraph, explain how each religion’s views about burial, death, and the afterlife are reflected in their culture. Support your assertions by making at least 2 references, in proper APA format, to your course readings.
Be sure to support your ideas by connecting them to the week’s Learning Resources or something you have read, heard, seen, or experienced.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
By Day 5
Respond to at least one of your colleagues’ postings in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question.
- Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Offer and support an opinion.
- Validate an idea with your own experience.
- Make a suggestion.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned and/or any insights you have gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
Submission and Grading Information
Post by Day 3 and Respond by Day 5
To participate in this Discussion:
Week 2 Discussion