Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Reference the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
One of the most frustrating challenges at work is communication apprehension. However, there are ways to overcome this challenge.
Prepare: As you prepare to write this discussion post, take a few moments to do the following:
- Read the writing prompt below in its entirety. Notice that there are three tasks:
- Identify one or two forms of communication apprehension you have experienced on the job.
Explain at least two strategies to overcome the communication apprehension.
- Discuss the role of communication in being a professional.
- Review your notes on Chapter 5: Developing Confidence: Coping with Insecurities about Interpersonal Communication.
- Read Chapter 6: Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace.
- Review the grading rubric.
Reflect: Take time to reflect on a specific experience you had in the workplace where you faced the challenge of communication apprehension. Think about how to overcome this challenge. What changes can you make to improve how you communicate at work? Reflect on communication as both the problem and solution.
Write: Based on course materials and your own reflections, address the following:
- Describe a time you found yourself in a situation where you faced a specific form of communication apprehension in the workplace described by Bevan and Sole. Be sure to explain the apprehension itself and how you experienced it. If your work experience is limited, consider a time when you were working with others in a different context, such as school or a club.
- Based on what you’ve learned from class this week, explain some specific strategies you can use to overcome the communication apprehension(s) you listed and make yourself a more competent communicator.
- Use the text to discuss the role of communication in being a professional.
Thoroughly address all three elements of this prompt by writing at least two to three sentences on each element. Use the course readings at least once to help you make your points. Consider copying and pasting these tasks into a word file and addressing each of them separately.
Your initial response should be 200-300 words in length and is due by Thursday, Day 3.
Respond to Peers: Review your classmates’ posts and try either to find some common ground or to expand on your classmates’ ideas. Use the text to extend your classmates’ points about apprehension and professional communication. Ask questions that will enhance everyone’s understanding of the key concepts. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Monday, Day 7. Response posts must be 125 to 200 words in length. If you have questions about how to participate in discussions, consult “About Discussions” under the Course Home menu.