Week 4 – Assignment
As you will recall from Chapter 10 and the Changing Minds article on Genderlect (Links to an external site.), family and gender relationships often reflect a variety of elements that affect how communication is conducted. For this week’s assignment, you will take the opportunity to explore this by choosing from one of the two options below and preparing a two-page paper describing the impact of either family or gender on communication, as well as your own personal communication strengths and growth. For Option 1 use the Week 4 Assignment Option One template for formatting and for Option 2 use the Week 4 Assignment Option Two template.
· Option 1: Family communication:
· Watch the video, The Power of Family: Types of Families and Family Development (Links to an external site.) and reflect on your own family.
· Describe how your family has influenced your communication style.
· Explain how that communication style could influence your strengths and opportunities as a human service professional.
· Option 2: Gender communication:
· Complete the Open Sex Role Inventory test (Links to an external site.) and reflect on the results.
· Describe your own gender beliefs based on the results of the inventory.
· Explain how the results of the inventory, your gender strengths, might influence your communication and practice in human services.
The Family and Gender Communication Assignment:
· Must be two double-spaced pages in length (not including title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
· Title of paper
· Student’s name
· Course name and number
· Instructor’s name
· Date submitted
· Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
· Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.