Technology has changed our lives drastically in the past twenty years. For example, consider the rise of mobile devices connected to the internet using wireless communication. We have progressed from shopping solely in brick-and-mortar stores to having the ability to do anything from renting a vacation home to purchasing cupcakes online using a mobile device. To keep up with how consumers communicate, businesses have to incorporate these devices and technologies into their business models to reach customers. Developing appropriate technical solutions to business problems begins with defining, analyzing, and documenting the necessary requirements.
For this project, you will play the role of an employee working for a small brick-and-mortar business. Your business is seeking to establish an online presence, but it must first invest in new technology. You will create a business systems analysis to provide the business owner with your recommendations for a technology solution that will support her venture into e-commerce.
In this assignment, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following course outcomes:
- ï‚· Analyze a business organization for determining the business requirements related to information technology systems
- ï‚· Articulate the role and function of information systems in business organizations for how they impact business operations
- ï‚· Recommend appropriate information technology options for effectively supporting business operations
- ï‚· Recommend basic security considerations related to business information systems for effectively securing company data
- Imagine that you work for the small brick-and-mortar business described in the final project case scenario. The owner of your business wants to focus on generating new revenue through e-commerce, but she knows that this change in operations requires the company to integrate new technology. To gain an understanding of what the business might need for technology, she has asked you to create a business systems analysis. In this analysis, you will clearly introduce the problem that your business is facing. Then, you will determine the business requirements for solving that problem, including the requirements that any new technology needs to meet. Next, you will explain how your competitors are using the two technologies in which you are investing, to determine whether those technologies are appropriate for your business. Finally, you will propose your recommendations for the technology solution that best meets the needs of your business, including what your business owner must consider in regard to security and privacy of company data.
- Your goal in the final project is to establish an e-commerce presence, but you must improve the current technology first. Use the Decision Matrix document as you conduct your research for assistance organizing your thoughts. (You will submit the completed decision matrix in Milestone Two.) For additional resources on developing the decision matrix, refer to:
The “Decision Matrix” is part of the assignment and must be incorporated and is needed for the BUSINESS REQUIREMENT portion of the final paper.