As human and health services employees, you will be faced with many clients seeking services/counseling on a variety of ethical topic. This case study will allow you to apply the information you have learned from your assigned reading.
vFor this assignment, assume the role of a case manager at a human service agency. You have appointments with five clients tomorrow. Select three of the five client profiles from the following scenarios. For each client, prepare a plan which answers the indicated questions (for each plan provide 3 to 4 paragraphs).
Client A is pregnant with her third child; eldest child is very ill and requires a bone marrow transplant. There were no matching donors on the national list. She and her husband decided to have a baby who could be used to save her other child. Client A is seeking counseling as to what to do.
- Describe the organ transplant history and process.
- Is there a list of people waiting for transplant? If so, what are the requirements and challenges?
- What are any ethical issues associated with organ transplant?
Client B is in need of a back operation and has insurance, but can’t afford the cost share/copay of the operation. Client B has heard that other countries offer the procedure for less money.
- Consult the textbook and resources for medical tourism.
- Locate two countries that offer low cost surgeries. Include challenges such as different health standards/safety issues if any.
- What are any ethical issues associated with medical tourism?
Client C has a terminal illness, in a lot of pain, and is considering euthanasia. Client C wants to discuss whether this is an option.
- Consult the textbook and resources for euthanasia and end of life decisions.
- Describe the history of both and steps to consider when considering either.
- What are the ethical issues associated with euthanasia and end of life decisions?
Client D has a grandmother who has become more and more forgetful. Client D goes with her grandmother to her primary care physician, who says it’s just old age. Recently, she left the stove on and has begun to wander away from the house. Client D thinks that it is more than old age and may be a mental health issue.
- Consult the textbook and resources for elderly population and mental health.
- Describe common types of mental disorders in the elderly.
- What are some challenges/solutions (programs/services) in providing care to the grandmother?
Client E has a 16-year-old teenager who has become sullen, reclusive, and appears to be depressed. Client E’s teenager states that they are being bullied at school and they refuse to go anymore. The teenager also indicates that they want to harm the ones bullying them. Client E thinks that the teenager may be on drugs and she should bring the teenager in for services.
- Consult the textbook and resources for children and mental health.
- Describe common types of mental disorders in children.
- What are challenges and ethical issues in providing programs/services to children? What is the legal or ethical requirement to report a potential problem?
Students should use the following format for their written assignment:
- Your paper must include two to three pages of written content.
- Use APA format and cite sources, as necessary. If you need a refresher on APA, reference the APA Library Guide (located in Student Resources in the Course Orientation). Make sure that your paper is not plagiarized and includes all the appropriate citations and references.
- In addition to the 2 to 3 pages of written content, please include:
- Title Page
- Appropriate Headings and Sub-Headings
- Reference Page (minimum of 3 scholarly references)
- Use a minimum of 3 scholarly references—scholarly references can include peer-reviewed articles, textbook, journals, and included supplemental resources