In the world of human services, healthcare and human services programs often intersect and overlap. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is the largest governmental regulator and funder of the health and human services program. HHS has eleven operating divisions, which are known as agencies. These agencies provide oversight and regulations for millions of dollars for human services and healthcare programs. As future human services leaders, it is important to know which regulatory agency is responsible for the various healthcare programs and services. The HHS 11 Operating Divisions are:
- Administration for Children and Families (ACF)
- Administration for Community Living (ACL)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- Indian Health Services (IHS)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
For this discussion board, you will be randomly assigned by your professor to one of the eleven operating divisions.
Utilize the Department of Health and Human Services website (Links to an external site.), where you will find the organizational chart and eleven operating divisions (agencies).
In your initial post, and based on your assigned operating division, submit the following information:
- Operating Division Name and History: Reason for operating division creation, i.e., in response to what healthcare issue, and annual budget.
- Mission and Area of Responsibility: Identify and summarize the agency division mission. Give an example of programs/services provided.
- Within your assigned operating division, select one (1) program, center, office, institute, or bureau within the operating division and provide the following information:
- Apply the information obtained in items a and b and identify/describe a local healthcare organization which would receive funding/operate a program under this operating division (include your personal experience/knowledge about the organization).
(Note: The name of the divisions within an agency varies across operating division. For example, they may be called a program, center, office, institute, or bureau. Within the HRSA, division levels are known as Bureaus; CMS has Centers; NIH has Institutes).
Follow Up Post
Local and Personal Application (two paragraphs)
In your follow up post, respond to the initial posts of two other students, i.e., two other operating divisions. For example, if you were assigned to ACF, then you might elect to respond to CDC and HRSA. In your follow up post, respond providing an illustration from your personal experience and/or a local agency that provides programs/funding from that operating division.
If the operating division is NIH, then institutes such as Baptist MD Anderson Cancer Center would be the recipient of cancer research funding. From a personal perspective, someone you know may have received services there.
If the operating division is ACF, then the Temporary Assistance to Need Families (TANF) program would impact a family’s receipt of food stamp (SNAP) assistance.
Your initial post is due by Wednesday night, 11:59pm of the module week. Provide APA formatted reference information at the bottom of your post. The initial post will be a minimum of 400 words and a minimum of 3 paragrap