a) “Capitol and Labor”
Credits: Metropolitan Museum of Art, Rogers Fund, 1948. (48.80) Photograph, all rights reserved, The Metropolitan Museum of Art
1. Why did many Americans in the Gilded Age worry that this vision of harmony no longer described American life?
2. Give some examples of how the images here misrepresent the realities of the period.
They Have Built a Nation map
Credits: Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota
1. What does this map suggest about how the government was trying to shape public opinion during the 1930s?
2. How did the picture of American society presented here differ from the government’s approach during World War I?
Credits: George Mill
1. What “restrictions” on freedom do you think the artist has in mind?
2. What is the purpose of juxtaposing the large word “FREEDOM” with the small print?