Poetry and imagination
*Note: Please read and follow ALL instructions for this and all assignments. Always review the rubrics.
How does poetry stimulate the imagination? In this first assignment you will examine its role in the development of appreciation in the natural world and in developing imagination in children.
Select one poem from among those read this week in each of the following sections (a total of three poems):
· Animals and Nature
· Poems to Stimulate the Imagination
· Verse, Riddles and Wordplay, or Nonsense
Write a 350- to 700-word paper wherein you explain the following:
· Your choice of poems
· Why you selected the poems
· How poems can instill an appreciation for animals and the natural world in children
· The role of rhythms, moods, images, and patterns in your chosen poems
· How the rhythms, moods, images, and patterns in your chosen poems add to or detract from the poem
· How poems can stimulate imagination in children
· The benefits of teaching poetry to children
Use at least three poems, and at least 2 course reserve articles and other resources, like the Huck’s textbook (See Attached Rubric for more on this), from the required readings to complete this and every assignment in this course. If you would like to use an outside source, you must get permission from Prof. Sowers before Day 5 of the week it is due.
Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines.
Note: Students who are enrolled in the BA in English program may be required to use MLA formatting.
Review the CWE information about plagiarism and visit YouTube for more on avoiding plagiarism. You must cite all sources for every assignment in this and every course. Failure to cite sources may result in a Zero for the assignment, class failure and even may result in expulsion.