How is the concept explained by the people, and more importantly, what you think of the concepts?
– Font: Verdana 11pt
– Page numbers should appear in the footer of the essay, in the middle
– Political theory essay: use of 1st person is acceptable
– Important to place the concept in its historical contexts (tell what the conceptions are, different thinkers around the concepts)
– How is the concept explained by the people, and more importantly, what you think of the concepts?
– Avoid simply state something, need to show it through evaluation and analysis. Use examples to demonstrate the point. What is of primary importance is the quality of your reasoning and your understanding of the arguments and positions you discuss.
– Referencing: page number is preferred, if its a broad idea, no need for page number but a broader range of page number is preferred
– Structure of the Essay:
1. Introduction: around 400 words
2. Main body:
a. Context – situate the research question within its context and explain the relevance of this context (around 500 words)
b. Provide a brief outline of the key literature
Analyse the literature
Who has said what and why?
Do you agree? Justify your answer
Start bringing in your own argument and use examples to demonstrate and support it.
Always bring in the opposing side to your argument.
Demonstrate why your interpretation is stronger and more convincing.
*For Foucault’s weaknesses of his concept of power, could focus on Feminist’s criticism of this. If there is not much readings for this, could focus on other thinkers as well.
The post How is the concept explained by the people, and more importantly, what you think of the concepts? appeared first on Blackboard Masters.