Over the last couple years it seems the number and severity of natural disasters has markedly increased. Since the low point of the response to Hurricane Katrina and the subsequent legislation to fix the federal response to disasters, is the Department of Homeland Security doing better in its coordinated responses? Is the current National Response Framework working? How do we balance the response and the need for controlling budget costs? In this assignment select one national level response to a hurricane, wild fire, or other natural hazard to evaluate the preparedness, response, and recovery efforts to the event. Your response should be written from a local, state, or federal perspective. Or you may examine the response from the perspective of a not-for-profit such as the International Red Cross of the Salvation Army.
To begin your research for this assignment, go to the Ashford University Library and conduct a search with the keywords â€œFederal Response to Disasters.â€ It is recommended that you do not use quotation marks for this search.
In your paper,
- Summarize the natural disaster.
- Evaluate the response from a local, state, or federal perspective.
- Identify the core issues that delayed or hindered the response.
- Identify what went right with the disaster response.
- Analyze the current Department of Homeland Security processes and procedures to determine their effectiveness for similar future disasters.
The Preparation, Response, and Recovery paper
- Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.