Satin Doll consists of a piano led big band.
Specific questions to answer and topics to cover for Satin Doll:
- Which instruments do you hear during the intro at the very beginning?
- Is the overall texture thin or thick during the intro? Why?
- Which instruments keep the basic tempo or beat of the song?
- Would you say the tempo or pulse is slow, medium or fast?
- What is the mood of the song? Do you like the mood? Why or why not?
- The dynamics change in the song. Describe why and where in the song.
- Name some of the instruments you think create the tonal color in the song?
- What is the name of the instrument that seems to get a lot of solos in the song?
- Would you listen to this song again after completing this assignment? Why or why not?
Please note: Listening Assignments are not research papers. Please do not include any of the following:
– biographies of the musicians
– how successful the musicians are or how many records they sold
– a history of the song and/or the musicians
– any comparisons to any other song even if it is by the same artist