Listening assignments are opinion papers. You will point out several objective points in the music, i.e. tonal color, dynamics, texture, etc., describe them, and then give your detailed (subjective) opinions of them.
Satin Doll consists of a piano led big band.
Specific questions to answer and topics to cover for Satin Doll:
- Which instruments do you hear during the intro at the very beginning?
- Is the overall texture thin or thick during the intro? Why?
- Which instruments keep the basic tempo or beat of the song?
- Would you say the tempo or pulse is slow, medium or fast?
- What is the mood of the song? Do you like the mood? Why or why not?
- The dynamics change in the song. Describe why and where in the song.
- Name some of the instruments you think create the tonal color in the song?
- What is the name of the instrument that seems to get a lot of solos in the song?
- Would you listen to this song again after completing this assignment? Why or why not?
Please note: Listening Assignments are not research papers. Please do not include any of the following:
– biographies of the musicians
– how successful the musicians are or how many records they sold
– a history of the song and/or the musicians
– any comparisons to any other song even if it is by the same artist