IT 263 – Final Paper
For this assignment, each student must choose a recent security breach or hack (within the last year), and write a 5 – 6 page paper that answers the following questions:
· How did this hack work/how was the security breach performed?
· Who or what did this hack or breach affect? What was stolen, changed, or compromised?
· How could an organization prevent this breach or hack from occurring in the future?
· If you were a security professional working within the company, what would you advise management to do?
This report must be at least 5 – 6 pages long, double-spaced, in 12 pt. Times New Roman font. Cite at least four sources (not including any class materials.) Include the complete resource name, author, date of publication, etc. so that I can find the resource myself through the library or on the Internet. An example would be:
1) Brian Krebs, “Kimpton Hotels Probes Card Breach Claims”, https://krebsonsecurity.com, July 26th 2016.
Your paper will be graded based on the following criteria:
· Do you understand and clearly explain the methods used to perform the hack/breach?
· Does your writing show a complete grasp of the attack, why it was successful, and how it can be mitigated in the future?
· Is your paper organized (has an introduction, a body, and a conclusion) and free of grammar and spelling errors? Do you have enough sources and are they cited correctly?
· Are your recommendations to the company useful and appropriate given the circumstances?