Pope St.John Paul II describes Theology in this way: “Theology is structured as an understanding of faith in the light of a two gold methodological principle: the auditus fidei and the intellectus fidei With the first, theology makes it own the content of Revelation as this has been gradually expounded in Sacred Tradition, Sacred Scripture, and the Church’s living Magisterium. With the second, theology seeks to respond through speculative enquiry to the specific demands of disciplined thought.”
– Complete a writing assignment which follows the method proposed above by Pope St.John Paul II. – Begin with the first methodological principle: a hearing of revelation (auditus fidei).
– Step one: choose a revealed truth or truths from divine revelation suitable for this assignment. This truth should be clearly attested to by Tradition, Sacred Scripture, and or the Church’s living Magisterium. (Purpose of this assignment: attain a deeper insight, the truth or truths should in some way be mysterious or puzzling, either in itself or in relation to other catholic teachings or known realities.)
– Step two: show where this truth is found in Scripture, Tradition, or Church’s magisterial teaching. You should cite at least one authoritative source of Church teaching, such as an official catechism, a document of an ecumenical council, or a papal encyclical.
– Once the data of Revelation has been established, the assignment progresses to the next methodological principle: a theological consideration of the teaching (intellectus fidei).
– Step three: formulate a question which expresses clearly what about the teaching is puzzling.
– Step four: present the position of a theologian or theologians who have addressed this issue. Des any theologian have an insight which can help to resolve what is puzzling?
– Step five: give an analysis. Analyze the issue based on what has been discovered, expressing the precise nature of any difficulty with the teaching and what possibilities for a solution have emerged, if any. What seems clearer after the study? What still seems unresolved?
Requirements: writing conventions, including footnotes and bibliography, should follow Chicago style.
– A minimum of three sources of Catholic teaching. These can be found in Scripture, Sacred Tradition, and or Magisterial teaching. Some magisterial teaching of the church must be included, whether this teaching is found in an official Catechism (e.g. The catechism of the Catholic Church, the catechism of the council of Trent), the teaching of an Ecumencial Council (e.g. The Documents of the Second Vatican Council), or a teaching in an authoritative papal document, such as encyclical (e.g. Fides et Ratio)
– A minimum of two theological sources. This insight should be in harmony with the Church’s understanding of Revelation. Such as doctors of the Church or saints A good example for this paper could be spiritual creatures linking angels and Demons. You may write on any topic, just an example!