In this assignment, you will analyze the Affordable Care Act (ACA), comparing and contrasting several different scenarios and analyzing how the ACA influences financial decision making and ethical considerations for healthcare insurance coverage.
President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law on March 23, 2010 (White House, 2013). Since its inception, the debate has continued about the pros and cons of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
For this assignment, you will research the ACA from several different perspectives. You are to compare the ACA relative to the following scenarios:
• A 45-year-old morbidly obese person with a Body Mass Index (BMI) ≥ 30 is seeking bariatric surgery for weight loss with an anticipated cost of $15,000 to $35,000 depending upon the region of the U.S. The individual has not tried other measures such as a weight-loss program or exercise.
• An employer that is considered a small business with 49 full-time employees is seeking to hire 5 more employees in the next year. The employer currently does not offer health insurance for employees, but does provide a stipend of $200 a month for each employee.
• A college-graduate young adult is currently 25 years of age and will turn 26 in two months. The young adult is employed part-time but is seeking full-time employment.
Based on your analysis of the scenarios and the module readings, Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, address the following:
• Analyze the aspects of the Affordable Care Act that are applicable to each of the aforementioned individuals relative to the following:
o What are the potential benefits of the ACA?
o What is the potential negative impact of the ACA?
o What, if any, ethical considerations might there be for any of the three scenarios?
• Identify at least three websites where consumers can learn more about the ACA. Provide a short synopsis about each explaining your choice and the benefit of the information to consumers.