1.1 – Gather information on the following two disaster
- Space shuttle “challenger” ,Jan 1986
- Space shuttle “Columbia”, Jan 2003
Describe (may still be speculative for Columbia ) what ( materials & design as well as political/ management factors) caused disasters. ( no need to be more than one page ).
1.2 – Name five Generic classes of metals. For each generic class:
- Give one example of a specific component made from that class,
- Indicate why that class was selected for the component .
1.3 – Why do impurity atoms segregate to grain boundaries?
1.6- What is the proeutectoid phase for an iron-carbon alloy in which the mass fraction of total ferrite and total cementite are 0.02 and 0.08, respectively? Why .
1.7- Consider 2.5kg of austenite containing 0.65wt%C, cooled to below 727 ®C,
- What is the proeutectoid phases ?
- How many kilograms each of total ferrite and cementite form ?
- How many kilograms each of pearlite and proeutectiod phases form ?
- Schematically sketch and label the resulting microstructure