Answer three of the following questions. Each answer should be 2-3 paragraphs long. Answers are worth 15 points each.
1) Detail the only ‘legitimate’ reason for a Crusade in the eyes of the Catholic Church. Which crusade was legitimate? Why? Which Crusade effectively ended the Byzantine Empire?
2) Discuss the main differences in the types of plague raging through the western world in the mid-14thcentury. Be sure to note locations, death rates, and symptoms.
3) Peter Ableard’s “Story of My Misfortunes” tells of the life of a struggling medieval scholar. Address his misfortunes and how he dealt with them.
4) What role did politics play in the Avignon Papacy and then in the Great Schism? Detail the concerns to the ‘flock’ and what this meant for the future followers. Discuss Raimon de Cornet’s poem and how it expresses the feeling of the flock.
5) Briefly detail the changes in government under Diocletian from previous rulers. What were some of the major reasons he made these modifications?
6) What are the three main principles of any feudal society? Describe each and how they apply to serfs, knights, and lords.