Individual paper. Write a brief (6 pages, double spaced) paper about leadership in a business, military, governmental, or non-profit organization with which you have experience. This would preferably be an organization at which you are or have been employed. Questions such as those listed below can be addressed. You do not have to address all of the questions (the paper should not be that long!), but rather focus on the issues that seem most significant to you about leadership in the organization. Connect your analysis to the concepts discussed in the class readings.
· Physical, psychological, demographic, and other traits
· Professional and educational background
· Values and ethics
· Who are the most effective leaders in the organization?
· How much leadership is formal and informal (outside the “chain of command”)?
· Have you seen other factors substituting for or undermining leadership?
· Is one style of leadership prevalent? How are different styles used? Are they used situationally?
· Directive, participative, task/initiating structure, relationship/consideration?
· Transactional, transformational?
· Are there charismatic leaders in the organization? Are there servant leaders?
· How do leaders address ethical issues in the organization?
A proposal indicating the organization chosen and preliminary ideas about the focus of the paper should be turned in at the time of the mid-term exam The paper will count 15% of the course grade. Note: If you believe you do not have enough organizational experience to effectively complete the assignment, an alternate paper project can be substituted with approval of the instructor.