FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION BELOW
· Please respond to your classmates’ posts BELOW with meaningful and relevant responses that add value to the original post or the discussion.
· Your response should rely upon at least two sources from professional literature. This may include the University online library resources, relevant textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, or .gov).
· Write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources (i.e., APA format); and use accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources.
Cicely Response Below
1. Describe and analyze the three strategies Block (2011) describes for successful consulting that you think can create the most impact.
Opening with transparent purpose and a level playing field I believe this to be a very critical element in effective consulting. In order to manage expectations of all parties and ensure the consultant is focusing on the correct issues, it is critical that the client concerns that began the process are clearly described, where the change effort is at this moment is defined, and what the organization needs from the consultant at the current moment is known. This approach tactic can help offer companies the transparency needed to enable them to trust the consultant and be prepared to act on opportunities presented/suggested. Creating a platform for openness and doubt As consultants, we must bring the right people together and create an environment conducive to open discussion that is free from fear of retribution.
Choosing commitment and accountability It would be difficult for any major effort to come to fruition without the commitment and accountability from those critical to the effort. Consultants should work to ensure those involved understand the need to be accountable to their peers and then to their bosses.
2. Explain why you chose these three strategies and not the others.
Each of the eight engagement tactics are useful in working with clients. It would be optimal to incorporate all of them into one’s effort; however, I chose the three above strategies because I feel they complement each other in forming a solid platform and basis from which a consultant and client can work to effect change and develop actionable solutions.
3. Analyze your ability to incorporate these strategies into a consulting project.
Identify the skills you are lacking to use these strategies. I actually believe I am well-suited and well-equipped to execute these strategies. The key skills needed to incorporate these strategies into a consulting project include leadership skills, communication, managing conflict, strong ethics and team management.
4. Explain what you can do to develop these skills. Describe a plan for how you would develop these skills.
In an effort to better hone the skills needed to best incorporate these strategies, I would plenty of research and reading on leadership and development, the consultant-client relationship, consulting, and change management. Additionally, I would look for opportunities within my organization to serve as an internal consultant or to shadow those who may be filling that role in my organization.