Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Reference the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
In Chapter 10 of the textbook, the authors outline two communication strategies, direct and indirect, for relationship disengagement and communicating competently through the ending of relationships.
Prepare: As you prepare to write this discussion post, take a few moments to do the following:
- Read the writing prompt below in its entirety. Notice that there are three tasks:
- Describe two strategies for disengaging with others.
- Brainstorm about a time when you ended a friendship or other relationship.
- Note which direct and indirect disengagement strategies you used to end the relationship.
- Review Chapter 10 in the text. Read about both direct and indirect strategies for disengagement.
- Review the grading rubric.
Reflect: Take time to reflect on how using communication for disengagement strategies can help us manage the difficulties of ending a relationship.
Write: Based on the information in Chapter 10:
- Describe at least two direct and indirect disengagement strategies from the book. Write at least two sentences for each element. Try to find as many specific connections between your experience and what Bevan and Sole cover in their discussion of both types of disengagement strategies.
- Explain a scenario where you’ve parted with a friend or partner in the past.
- How can you communicate competently when ending relationships? Be sure to list specific disengagement strategies, direct and/or indirect, from the book. Consider what you’ve learned in this chapter.
Thoroughly address all three elements of this prompt by writing at least two to three sentences on each element. Use the course readings at least once to help you make your points. Consider copying and pasting these tasks into a word file and addressing each of them separately.
Your initial response should be 200-300 words in length and is due by Thursday, Day 3.
Respond to Peers: Review your classmates’ posts and try to find some common ground or expand on the students’ ideas. Use the text to improve everyone’s understanding of the importance of being mindful of how we communicate when ending a relationship. Ask questions that will enhance both of your understanding of the key concepts. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Monday, Day 7. Response posts must be 125 to 200 words in length. If you have questions about how to participate in discussions, consult “About Discussions” under the Course Home menu.