Experiences of schizophrenia
Experiences of schizophrenia are not homogeneous; there is wide variety in onset, course of illness, and combinations of symptoms. Social workers need to be able to understand the different manifestations and pathways of the illness to plan interventions. Social work services play a key role in stabilizing crises, supporting family coping, and influencing overall quality of life and outcomes of individuals with schizophrenia. In this Assignment, you practice applying this necessary individualization.
Morrison, J. (2014). Diagnosis made easier (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
· Chapter 5, “Coping with Uncertainty” (pp. 43–56)
· Chapter 13, “Diagnosing Psychosis” (pp. 185–215)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013o). Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders. In Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: Author. doi:10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596.dsm02
American Psychiatric Association. (2013b). Assessment measures. In Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: Author. doi:10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596.AssessmentMeasures
McGough’s Schizophrenia Youtube Video
To prepare: In the Learning Resources, focus on the associated features, development, and course of the illnesses in the schizophrenia spectrum. Also focus on descriptions of the disorder and the way it develops for different individuals.
Choose two articles from the list in the Learning Resources that apply to treatment support and interventions for the schizophrenia spectrum.
2 Articles below:
1. Cohen, A. N., Hamilton, A. B., Saks, E. R., Glover, D. L., Glynn, S. M., Brekke, J. S., & Marder, S. R. (2017). How occupationally high-achieving individuals with a diagnosis of schizophrenia manage their symptoms. Psychiatric Services, 68(4), 324–329. doi:10.1176/appi.ps.201600031
2. Eack, S. M., Newhill, C. E., Anderson, C. M., & Rotondi, A. J. (2007). Quality of life for persons living with schizophrenia: More than just symptoms. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 30(3), 219–222. doi:10.2975/30.3.2007.219.222
USE 3 – 4 Scholarly resources
1. Park, S., Lee, K., & Choi J. (2016). Factor Structure of the Clinician-Rated Dimensions of Psychosis Symptom Severity in Patients with Schizophrenia. Retrieved from http://www.psychiatryinvestigation.org/journal/view.php?doi=10.4306/pi.2016.13.2.253
2. Üstün,T.B., N. Kostanjsek, S Chatterji, J Rehm (2010). Measuring Health and Disability: Manual for WHO Disability Assessment 2.0. Retrieved from http://www.city-data.com/city/Corning-Arkansas.html
3. Jones C1, Hacker D, Meaden A, Cormac I, Irving CB, Xia J, Zhao S, Shi C, Chen J., . (2018). Cognitive behavioural therapy plus standard care versus standard care plus other psychosocial treatments for people with schizophrenia.. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30480760
4. Beels, C. C. (2016). Social Support and Schizophrenia. Retrieved from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/aeb9/1530b4e95a94f263340569dfb11546f8802d.pdf
Write a 3- to 4-page paper, supported by at least 3-4 scholarly resources (including both required and additional resources), in which you address the following:
· Compare Saks’s and McGough’s experiences with schizophrenia, specifically referencing the positive and negative symptoms they each experienced.
· Explain how you would use the Clinician Rated Dimensions of Psychosis Symptom Severity measure and the WHODAS to help confirm your diagnosis.
· Identify in what ways their cases are typical or atypical of the illness in terms of onset, associated features, development, and course. Support your response with references to scholarly resources.
· Explain how you would plan treatment and individualize it for these two individuals. Support your response with references to scholarly resources. In your explanation, consider the following questions:
o What are the long-term challenges for someone living with the illness?
o What social, family, vocational, and medical supports are needed for long-term stabilization?
o How might treatment look similar or different for Saks and McGough, given they have the same diagnosis?
· Briefly explain how race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religion, or other identity characteristics may influence an individual’s experience with schizophrenia.
Use APA format In text Citation and References from Reading and from Scholarly Resources used and any other creditable site