GLG150 Effects of the Motion of Tectonic Plates Worksheet WK3
This diagram was similar to one Alfred Wegener drew to show the distribution of continents 300 million years ago. His theory of continental drift was met with skepticism in the scientific community.
1. Describe three forms of evidence Wegener used to support his ideas of continental drift.
2. Years later, the continental drift theory reemerged as plate tectonic theory, with two additional pieces of evidence.
Refer to the images above. Discuss in detail the two pieces of additional evidence that supported Wegener’s theory, now known as the theory of plate tectonics.
Write paragraph answers to the following questions using what you have learned from Visualizing Earth Science and the assigned WileyPlus® GeoDiscoveries®.
1. How does the motion of the tectonic plates affect the climate?
2. How does the motion of the tectonic plates affect the geography?
3. How does the motion of the tectonic plates affect the distribution of organisms?
Earthquakes, volcanoes, and tsunamis have all been linked to plate movement. Indicate how plate movement would create them.