This required Portfolio assignment will give you experience observing and interacting with peopleoutside of the classroom. It has been designed to provide you with the opportunity to develop skills, synthesize knowledge, and integrate learning in a real world setting. This assignment accomplishes that goal by challenging you to:
• Conduct a 30-minute, semi-structured interview with a manager
• Identify common challenges and issues that arise in the workplace
• Evaluate strategies for addressing these challenges
• Integrate your findings with evidence-based literature from journal articles, textbook, and additional scholarly sources.
Objective: This assignment is designed to help you identify common problems that managers face when dealing with employees, and the solutions that managers use in an attempt to solve those problems. This assignment will also give you an opportunity to evaluate the efficacy of the solutions from a practical perspective and from the perspective of research in Industrial/Organizational psychology.
Step 1: Identify someone in your community who is a manager. This should be someone who is responsible for recruiting and/or selecting employees, supervising employees, and evaluating employee performance.
Step 2: Conduct a 30-minute interview with the manager. In your interview, be sure to cover the following questions:
• What are some of the common problems that you have experienced with employees? Be sure to steer the discussion toward relevant topics such as recruitment, employee selection, employee motivation, employee training, job attitudes, giving feedback, creating incentives, managing conflict, and so forth.
• Identify two major problems that the manager mentions and ask how he or she has responded to those problems. What solutions has the manager tried? Have the solutions worked?